| Some members of the "Empathy Group" |
Vietnam War. Yes,
I have heard this before. Where? Somewhere. Can I summarize it? Probably not.
These are only some of the things I
said to myself when the topic of this war was introduced to us during class. I
knew absolutely nothing about this war and now that I’m familiar with the
topic, I feel ashamed of my lack of cultural knowledge.
The Vietnam War was a military
battle fought between North Vietnam (communist) and South Vietnam (supported by
the US) from 1959 to 1975. Why was the US involved? Domino Theory. They
believed that if Vietnam managed to become communist, soon all the other
countries would become communist as well. With the execution of the South
Vietnamese leader, Ngo Dinh Diem, chaos broke all over and the opposing forces
took advantage of this weakness. The fighting continued for many years and
despite signing the Paris Peace Agreement (which was later violated) the war seemed
implacable. On April 30th, 1975 the South Vietnamese (US included)
surrendered and many fled the country by all means. Since then, both poles became one unified
Vietnam and there has been a reduction in political oppression.
Not only was this war the longest
and most expensive war in American history, it was also the first “living room”
war. This means that it was televised, which created a great impact on the
people watching. For the first time, war not only meant good deeds and victory
somewhere far away from all the perfect pie-eating, blonde and blue-eyed families;
war meant death and violence right in front of you, blood and agony at arm’s
reach.
Learning about this war not only
prepares me for the content in the book The
Things They Carried but it just makes me a new member of the empathy group.
What I mean by this is that, there are so many things we (as humans) don’t know
about, and even if we think we do, we just don’t. In fact, I believe all of us
are somehow members of this group. Why? Because we are oblivious to what war
signifies, we know nothing about killing, or fighting, or being brave for your own
country. Learning about a war won’t make us stronger, learning about a war won’t
ever be the same as standing in front of the enemy and having the courage to
throw a grenade and see him blow up, dissipate into the air. It won’t ever
compare to what every single soldier went through, what they are still going
through. It won’t ever be the same to read about the deaths of “many”, than to
remember the expression of the man you killed, the child that might have died in
your arms, the filthiness of death that forever remains within you. Learning only
means learning; it will never mean knowing, let alone understanding.
No comments:
Post a Comment